1. Why would someone want to grow a grafted tomato rather than a seed-grown plant?
There are many benefits to growing tomatoes using grafted tomato plants that will help the at-home gardener be more successful.
The main benefits of growing grafted tomato plants are:
- Increased vigor for improved quality and quantity of tomatoes
- Resistance to soil-borne pathogens and nematodes
- Greater tolerance to environmental stressors like extreme temperatures, poor soils and other unfavorable weather conditions
- More abundant harvest over a longer period of time—as much as double a regular crop
2. Are grafted tomato plants only for commercial growers or experienced gardeners?
Grafted tomato plants are the perfect solution for both the novice gardener and the expert gardener. Since grafted tomatoes are more disease resistant, stronger and robust, they work for every type of gardener.
3. What types of grafted vegetable varieties can I purchase?
We will have a selection of grafted Mighty Mato tomatoes this coming summer.
4. Can I plant grafted tomato plants indoors?
Most people who grow grafted tomato plants plant them outside or in a greenhouse. Since tomato plants generally need lots of light and moisture, it is possible to grow tomatoes in greenhouses, but you are not likely to be successful indoors.
5. Why are grafted plants more expensive?
Grafted plants are more expensive because you are actually buying two plants instead of one—the variety you want, plus the rootstock that it is grafted onto. So right there the cost is doubled. Also, each plant is hand-grafted so there is much more labor involved. However, with over double the fruit and plants that are less likely to die, the extra cost becomes minimal.
6. What differences can I expect in the tomato plants I grow with Mighty ‘Mato?
When you plant a grafted tomato plant from Mighty ‘Mato, you can expect a stronger, healthier, more disease resistant tomato that will produce more robust fruit. Our unique grafting technology creates a hardier plant to help you grow healthier tomatoes.
7. How do I plant my Might ‘Mato grafted tomato plant?
In general, to plant a grafted tomato plant, you need to keep the graft line well above soil level. Remove any adventitious roots that form above the graft so they don’t come in contact with the soil. If your plant comes with a grafting clip, it doesn’t need to be removed (it will slip off as the plant grows). Vigorous plants will require strong stakes or extra large cages. For best production, prune single grafted tomatoes to two leaders, giving each leader its own support to climb.
8. I have had trouble planting tomatoes in the past. Will Mighty ‘Matos make it easier for me to plant tomatoes successfully?
Yes! Many people blame themselves when their tomato plants become disease-ridden or do not produce fruit. In many cases it is very difficult for the at-home gardener to control diseases that may affect their tomato plants and weather conditions that bring about fungus and blight. The great thing about buying Mighty ‘Matos is that our plants naturally resist diseases and survive in less than ideal weather conditions. This means that even if you have struggled to grow tomato plants in the past, with Mighty ‘Matos you can grow a successful crop.
9. Will using grafted tomato plants from Mighty ‘Mato help my tomatoes avoid blight and other diseases?
Definitely. One of the main benefits of using grafted tomato plants from Mighty ‘Mato is that they naturally resist disease and blight. Through our revolutionary grafting technology we are able to produce plant varieties that are resistant to common diseases and will produce three to four times as much fruit as a typical tomato plant. Never worry about having to throw away another plant full of fruit because of disease.
10. Last year I lost most of my crop to rain. How do Mighty ‘Matos stand up to more severe weather conditions?
Mighty ‘Mato’s grafting technology makes our tomato plants more resistant to changes in the weather and also more resistant to the diseases that are common from rain and other unfavorable weather conditions. Because our tomato plants are more likely to withstand changes in weather, they will produce fruit longer than most tomato plants from seeds.
11. Is Mighty ‘Mato a good choice for me if I don’t want to use chemicals on my tomato plants?
Mighty ‘Mato is an excellent choice for you if you do not want to use chemicals and pesticides for your tomato plants. Since Mighty ‘Mato uses grafted tomato plants that are naturally more disease resistant and more robust, our tomato plants will flourish and produce superior and more delicious fruit without the use of additional chemicals and pesticides.
12. Why has tomato grafting become so popular?
Tomato grafting and growing tomato plants with Mighty ‘Mato has become more and more popular because it works—people find they can plant tomatoes that withstand diseases and produce more fruit. In the past, grafting technology was only available to commercial farmers, but now this technique is available for at-home gardeners and tomato growers interested in grafted tomato planting.
13. Why do grafting tomato plants create a better tomato plant?
Grafting tomato plants creates a better tomato plant because it is able to combine the best qualities of more than one tomato plant. In doing so, grafting prevents soil-borne diseases like fusarium and verticillium wilt. This extends the harvest window and increases yield. Grafting also helps gardeners prevent fungal or bacterial diseases from getting established in their soil.
14. How did Mighty ‘Mato start? Why are you selling grafted tomato plants?
In 2011, a group of horticulturists, farmers and entrepreneurs who recognized the incredible benefits of grafted vegetable plants created Mighty ‘Mato. We truly believe in the pure and sustainable nature of home gardening and are dedicated to making it easier and simpler for the average person to be successful and harvest fresh, organic fruits and vegetables for themselves and their families. The goal of the company is to revolutionize the home gardening industry by making grafted plants readily available to consumers everywhere, not just large commercial growers who are interested in maximizing their output. When comparing the fruit that comes from a Mighty ‘Mato grafted tomato plant to a regular tomato plant the results are astounding and we want to make sure everyone can see these types of results.
15. Why should I bother growing grafted tomatoes?
Grafted tomatoes will not only help you produce more fruit from your tomato plants, but will also ensure your tomato plants are not riddled with disease. You will be able to benefit from a longer harvest season with more delicious fruit and a more robust, healthier plant. Additionally, you can use less chemicals and pesticides in your garden because our plants are naturally disease resistant.
16. Will my grafted tomatoes be disease free?
Although we can’t promise that grafted tomato plants will be completely disease free, we can guarantee that they are much more disease resistant than normal tomato plants. Our plants are able to withstand common soil-borne and insect-related diseases.
17. Will grafted tomatoes yield more than non-grafted ones?
In our experience and in the experience of our customers, yes! Grafted tomato plants normally produce 3-4 times the fruit of a typical tomato plant and since they are disease resistant, you don’t have to worry about losing an entire crop to disease.
18. Are there other vegetables I can purchase from Mighty Veggies to grow in my garden?
Yes. In addition to tomatoes, we currently offer the grafted Bonica eggplant. We are hoping to offer more options in the future as well!